Thursday, January 29, 2009

I am the size of a fig

This week our bebê is about 2 inches long. Hands will soon open and close, tiny tooth buds are appearing under the gum, and the bones are getting stronger.

Although I don’t feel anything yet, my bebê is busy doing somersaults inside my belly and I actually got to see him/her in action!
This week I went for my genetic screening, which means women over 35, or not “spring chickens” as my husband calls it, are recommended to undergo. These prenatal diagnoses are done in order to identify chromosomal problems such as Down’s syndrome, Cystic Fibrosis and others. There are two major tests used to identify such issues – Amniocentesis and CVS (Chorionic Villus Sampling), which are both very invasive and although small, both present certain risks.
Duke and I have decided to do the non-invasive screening first; this will help us to determine if there is anything wrong and if it is necessary to further go other tests. The first screening consists of a sonogram that looks for the thickness of the baby’s neck and a comprehensive blood test.
Based on the sonogram results everything looked good, but now we have to wait for the blood test results, but we are confident that everything is ok. The exciting thing about doing the sonogram this week was that I got to witness the acrobatics that the baby was performing inside my belly; it was the cutest thing ever. He/She was literally flipping from one side to another, over and over, I could not believe it! Both, the nurse and I had a fun time watching all the action. The nurse said that within another month or so I will be able to feel all the movement.

As far as the morning sickness goes, it seems to have gotten a little better; I’ve been using these Sea Bands around my wrist, which works by using acupressure, kind of the same concept as in acupuncture, but without the needles. I am not sure if it is a coincidence, but since I started using the bands my morning sickness is pretty much gone and I definitely feel more energetic.

Weight wise I have only gained 2 pounds, but I can already see a little change in my lower abdomen, like a little bump.

Hopefully from now on I will feel better, that is what all the books I read and everyone keeps saying, that the second trimester is the best period of the pregnancy. However, regardless of the morning sickness and the lack of energy I would not change this experience for anything else in the world. When I see that little baby doing “water ballet” inside my belly nothing else can take away the overwhelming joy I get.

I am in love with the whole experience and with my bebê. I can’t wait to hold him and to share our lives with her/him.

Until next update

Duke, Laura and the fig

3 comments:

Jackie said...

I am so glad to hear that your "all day" sickness is getting better. I would definitely keep wearing those arm bands for a while, just in case. I'm wondering how Duke is doing with his poop removal device; the little diagram is great! Love you guys; words cannot describe how happy I am for you.
Jackie

momamosgaard said...

That is amazing news!! I can't wait to see a little bambino/bambina. (Keeping my fingers cross for a bambino, hehe) It is going to be wonderful to have another blessing come into the world either bambino/bambina. You and Duke will make wonderful parents!! Hope to see ya'll soon!!

momamosgaard said...

I just saw Duke's poop removal device! LMAO!!
That will work perfectly for him!!